Colors can have a variety of psychological and emotional effects on humans. Colors when properly used is used to make building users feel a certain way in order to enhance their experience and enjoyment of the space, Here is a brief overview of the general effects associated with each color:
- Red: This color is often associated with passion, energy, and excitement. It can stimulate the appetite, increase heart rate, and evoke feelings of warmth and aggression.It can also be used to indicate danger as common on signs. It has been proven to have an effect on users to increase sales hence lots of commercial outlets like fast foods use red color.
- Orange: This color is often associated with happiness, warmth, and enthusiasm. It can also stimulate the appetite, increase energy levels, and evoke feelings of creativity and excitement.
- Yellow: This color is often associated with optimism, happiness, and friendliness. It can stimulate the brain and evoke feelings of happiness and positivity.
- Green: This color is often associated with nature, growth, and harmony. It can create a calming effect and evoke feelings of relaxation, balance, and peace.
- Blue: This color is often associated with trust, loyalty, and calmness. It can have a calming effect on the mind and body and evoke feelings of serenity, stability, and security.
- Purple: This color is often associated with luxury, creativity, and spirituality. It can evoke feelings of sophistication, mystery, and magic.
- Pink: This color is often associated with love, compassion, and nurturing. It can create a calming effect and evoke feelings of warmth, love, and comfort.
- Brown : This color is often associated with stability, reliability, and comfort. It can create a grounding effect and evoke feelings of warmth, security, and stability.
- Black: This color is often associated with sophistication, elegance, and power. It can evoke feelings of mystery, secrecy, and formality.
- White: This color is often associated with purity, innocence, and simplicity. It can create a calming effect and evoke feelings of clarity, cleanliness, and freshness.
- Gold: As a precious metal color, gold is the color of wealth and luxury (especially in combination with black). However, it also goes along with ideas of love, wisdom and magic.
This list is non exhaustive but gives you a glimpse into what various colors can means and their effects at a sub-conscious level. Hence when we plan buildings, we should aim to incorporate colors as fitting for the purpose. Wish you the best in your coloring experiments…